radeon driver: checkpoint

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Mar 18 14:03:59 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 15:18 +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> >> I've just check out ati-1-0-branch again. And it's back to usable.
>
> For me the ati-1-0-branch is still worse than the driver from 6.9.
> I'm using a Radeon 9200 card on an amd64 machine under OpenBSD.
>
> The 6.9 driver works in mergedfb mode, but not in traditional multi head
> mode (with one screen per head (this used to work in 6.8.2)):  it
> produces a corrupted display on the 2nd head, or just mirror from the
> 1st, depending on the options.
>
> With the current code from the ati-1-0-branch (copied to the monolithic
> tree and built from there, if it matters), my merdedfb setting, results
> on the 2nd screen always mirroring the 1st, although I specified
> otherwise in xorg.conf.

> The dual-screen settings results in no video signal at all on the 2nd
> head, although the log file indicates that the 2nd monitor is probed
> correctly, and that it seems to setup up a correct mode for it.

This is with the latest CVS I suppose ? I had a problem with Xinerama /
second head that I fixed though it tended to cause a different issue.

> xorg.conf and log files for both configurations are there:
> <http://www.herrb.com/mergedfb.xorg.conf>
> <http://www.herrb.com/mergedfb.Xorg.0.log>
>
> <http://www.herrb.com/multi.xorg.conf>
> <http://www.herrb.com/multi.Xorg.0.log>

The, the mergedfb log looks like everything is ok. Do you end up with a
very large virtual area (sized like both screens) but instead of having
the second screen showing what's on the "other" side, it mirrors and
both are panning when the mouse hits the border ? If yes, then that
looks like something I've seen too, it looks like mergedfb doesn't
always setup some of it's own stuff properly on startup.

Can you try adding another mergedfb mode in your MetaModes (for example
a real clone mode, you can do that by using "+" instead of "-" as a
separator between the two screen dimensions) and then try switching back
and forth between the 2 mode pairs with xrandr ? Does that result in the
inital mode starting to work properly once you switched out and back
in ?

I'm not totally sure what's up with mergedfb at this point there, the
code is a bit hermetic to me, I'm still hoping that Alex will dig into
that part of the problem :)

Regarding the Xinerama issue, I'm not sure what's up yet, best is if you
could take register dumps of the working 6.8.2 setup vs. the non-working
6.9 setup...

Ben.