Next step for libpciaccess

Fri Mar 17 07:44:56 PST 2006

Stuart Kreitman wrote:

> Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> Ian Romanick wrote:
>>

>>> uses and external file of PCI IDs.  Right now it assumes that this file
>>> is stored /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids.  I suspect that is not a good
>>> assumption to make.  What *is* the right way to locate this file?
>>

>> That path is a Red Hat'ism, which might possibly be used by other
>> Linux distros also, but I wouldn't assume that per se.
>
> Solaris:  /etc/driver_aliases

Not the same - that only maps pci ids to drivers.   pci.ids is the complete
list of all known pci id <-> device name mappings used so scanpci can tell
you what the device is even if you don't have a driver installed for it - we
don't deliver a copy of pci.ids yet, but could easily add one - I'd much
rather that than have to rebuild libscanpci every time we want to add new
device names to the pci.ids list.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com