Two Radeon Cards, Dell Dimension, Linux and x.org

Clyde E. Kunkel linuxfool2231 at cox.net
Thu Mar 16 08:02:30 PST 2006

Thorsten Becker wrote:
> Xorg 7.0.0, kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r1
>
> Hello,
>
> To create a dual seat system I bought a Readeon 7000 PCI card for my Dell
> Dimension 4550, which has a Radeon 9700 already installed. The Problem is: I
> can only get one card to work at a time. Trying to start an X server on the
> "wrong card" results in locking up the system (it doesn't even write an
> Xorg.0.log logfile)
>
> What I tried so far:
>
> BIOS settings: The somewhat crippled BIOS in the dell system only has a few
> settings that could be relevant: "Primary Video Controller" is one of them,
> it can be set to AGP or Auto.
> If set to AGP, the AGP card works, the vga console is shown on the Monitor
> that is connected to that card. I can start an X server for that card, and it
> works.
> If set to Auto, the PCI card works, and I can start an X server for that card.
>
> But If it is set to AGP, and I try to start an X server for the PCI card, the
> result is  a complete system lockup, same the other way round.
>
> I tried to get some useful debugging output by starting X for the "wrong card"
> via ssh and get some information via the -verbose Option. Such a log can be
> found here:
> http://www.tuxdesk.de/Xremote.log
>
> The xorg.conf can be found here:
> http://www.tuxdesk.de/xorg.conf.2120
>
> One time a short Xorg log was written. I out it here:
> http://www.tuxdesk.de/Xorg.0.log
>
> When I start X whith the -verbose option, the last thing I can see is always
>
> (II) RADEON(0): initializing int10
> (--) RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon VE/7000 QY (AGP/PCI)" (ChipID = 0x5159)
> (--) RADEON(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xe0000000
> (--) RADEON(0): VideoRAM: 8192 kByte (64 bit SDR SDRAM)
> (II) RADEON(0): Color tiling enabled by default
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libddc.so
> (II) Module ddc: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>         compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.0.0
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libi2c.so
> (II) Module i2c: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>         compiled for 7.0.0, module version = 1.2.0
> (II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "DDC" initialized.
>
> and sometimes I see Messages like
> "Requesting insufficient memory window!: start: 0xff800000
> end: 0xff9fffff size 0xff820000"
>
> The cards work simultaneously with the other OS, so I thought they sould work
> with xorg too.
>
> I would be happy to get some input on what to try next, which options I might
> have overlooked and what I could try to get a more meaningful debugging
> output.
>
> Thanks,
> Thorsten

Seeing the same thing with a radeon 9200 AGP and radeon 9200SE PCI.
Works great with 6.8.2 on SuSE and Gentoo.  Doesn't work with 6.9/7.0 on
any distribution.  Keyboard dead, sometimes mouse movements can occur,
but system is unresponsive with xorg at 100% cpu.  Can SSH into system
from another machine.  Second monitor has random colors cycling on it,
primary monitor gets part way thru gnome start-up after loggin in via gdm.

--
Regards,

Old Fart