[ANNOUNCE] fixesproto-4.0 and compositeproto-0.3

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Mar 15 18:32:20 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 20:31 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 20:23, Deron Johnson wrote:
> > Well, consider it announced. He told me today that the master source for
> > proto/Damage, proto/Composite, and proto/Fixes is in git and that the
> > modular CVS versions are defunct. He is in the process of transferring
> > the lib modules for these over to git, but he's not there yet. He's
> > working on transfering the xserver module to git first.
>
> No.

Correct, I'm working on fixing the tools to accept our existing xserver
CVS repository and accurately *be able* to convert it to git. When the
tools are ready, I'll ask for input on how and when the x server
repository should be switched over. I'm hoping to have them ready in the
next couple of days. At that point, I'll be able to build read-only git
repositories for the X server and let people see what the result will
look like. I'm also hoping to get a chance to look over the recent CVS
pserver client for git repositories so we can make HEAD available via
pserver. I think that's crazy, but I hear there are people who are
interested.

My import tool is generating accurate revision histories along each
branch, but there are a few issues with discovering where branches were
originally joined in the presense of files with disjoint sets of branch
tags (i.e. where some files are missing branch tags). And I'm still not
handling files in the Attic at all; I don't think that's hard, but still
on the TO-DO list.

Ajax has asked that any potential switch wait until after the 7.1
roll-up, which seems sensible to me. If anyone else has suggestions on
schedules, they'd be welcome as the X server has more than a few
committers, and we should avoid moving in the middle of some important
projects. One immediate thought is that we should be able to remove the
extra 'xorg' directory in the X server repository now that there is only
one.

keith.packard at intel.com