x without a WM/app launching q

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Mar 15 16:42:17 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:59:40 -0600 (CST) dave at superelite.net babbled:

> Hello,
> I'm running x11R6 on a live CD distro (morphix).  I've changed the link
> /usr/bin/x-session-manager, which used to link to another elsewhere on teh
> system (which eventually linked to a WM) to a shell script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /usr/bin/serverprog&
> /usr/bin/clientGUIbottom&
> /usr/bin/clientGUItop
>

> I was under the impression that without a wm the two would simply 'stack'
> on top of eachother, based on where i told the GUI programs (from within
> their code) to align themselves.  They go to where i want them, but there
> is no order to how they stack where they overlap-i could call them in any
> order and clientGUIbottom is always on top.  Should this be working?

race condition. remember they run in parallel - and so the client that manages to start and CREATE its window first will likely be on bottom (unless they raise their window with XRaiseWindow() or XMapRaised() later). so you need to modify the programs to explicitly go "bottom code - just after creating window - lower it" for example.