x without a WM/app launching q

dave at superelite.net dave at superelite.net
Wed Mar 15 15:59:40 PST 2006

Hello,
I'm running x11R6 on a live CD distro (morphix).  I've changed the link
/usr/bin/x-session-manager, which used to link to another elsewhere on teh
system (which eventually linked to a WM) to a shell script:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/serverprog&
/usr/bin/clientGUIbottom&
/usr/bin/clientGUItop

I was under the impression that without a wm the two would simply 'stack'
on top of eachother, based on where i told the GUI programs (from within
their code) to align themselves.  They go to where i want them, but there
is no order to how they stack where they overlap-i could call them in any
order and clientGUIbottom is always on top.  Should this be working?

thanks,
dave