Braille keysyms ?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Mar 12 04:25:51 PST 2006

Ivan Paskal, le Sun 12 Mar 2006 01:19:36 -0500, a écrit :

> >>You can already use Unicode symbols as keysyms -- just use 0x10028xx.
> >
> >Mmm, that said, this is not really handy. For now, we use the XTest
> >extension for emulating key presses. For emulating braille keysyms, we
> >would hence need 256 keycodes to be associated with the braille keysyms;
> >this can't work.
>
> You could use methods the same as for usual alphabets: a keyboard maps with
> many 'shift levels'

Can 256 shift levels be used? That would be needed for "natural" braille
typing (pressing all dots at the same time, like a piano chord)

> or composing a keysym with some dead_keys sequence.

This looks fine. The braille driver would internally record the dots
that are pressed, and when they are released, it would report them as
dead dots and a final empty dot pattern (or the braille pattern
containing the last dot).

> >Maybe XIM could be yet another alternative? (I don't know much about
> >that)
>
> It depends on what do you want.

I read a bit more on XIM, and it shouldn't be needed here (and blind
people don't care about what is effectively displayed on the screen :) )

Regards,
Samuel