Unable to switch X sessions between different VT. System freeze and need power down to restart

LinuxBox at infinito.it LinuxBox at infinito.it
Tue Mar 7 06:45:29 PST 2006

Hi,
it's my first post into a mail list so I apologise if I'm doing/writing
something wrong.
Problem: Any attempt to switch between two different X sessions freezes the
whole system. Power off/on is needed to recover.
I would use the switch user option in my Mandriva 2006 box but any attemp to
use this function lock the system.
I also used > alt-ctrl-fx > xinit -- :1    to start a new X session getting
the same result.
The new X session is started and I can use it, but attempting to came back to
the original X sesstion (usually Vt 7 by alt-ctrl-f7) freezes the whole box.

Here is my system:

AMD Athlon 3500+
Mandriva Powerpack 2006.0
MB Asus A8N5x
Graphic Card: Asus Ati X700 PRO PCI-E

I've just upgraded to the last ATI drivers
ati-xorg-8.22.5-0.1.20060plf
dkms-ati-8.22.5-0.1.20060plf
but the bug is still there.

Xorg -version gives:

This is a pre-release version of the The X.Org Foundation X11.
It is not supported in any way.
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
latest version in the The X.Org Foundation "monolithic tree" CVS
repository hosted at http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg/
X Window System Version 6.8.99.900 (6.9.0 RC 0)
Release Date: 01 August 2005 + cvs
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.99.900
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp i686 [ELF]
Current Operating System: Linux kowalsky.localdomain 2.6.12-15mdk-i686-up-4GB
#1 Mon Jan 9 16:13:46 MST 2006 i686
Build Date: 16 September 2005
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.X.Org
Module Loader present

After an attempt to upgrade my Xorg stuff up to the latest level I've been
unable to get the X server starting any more. So reistalled the system.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Roberto