Xgl and Xinerama

Colin Guthrie xorg at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Mar 7 03:17:49 PST 2006

Jürg Billeter wrote:
> It probably won't get to CVS. The plan is to let compiz handle multiple
> screens instead of one screen with Xinerama as compositing managers can
> do everything they want with these screens, according to David.

OK I guess that makes sense. I guess the nVidia driver will need
updating to handle this (I believe there is a problem with GLX on
multiple screen mode vs. TwinView mode in that you can only use it on
the first screen).

How does it handle the case where lots of applications are compiled with
Xinerama support and they suddenly can't do what they were designed to
do? I know the compositing mgr can do clever things with the multiple
screens in terms of layout and other gubbins, but surely the
functionality built into 100s of applications will then be lost?? Would
a psuedo Xinerama plugin be created to emulate what the apps expect but
on a multi-screen backend?

Sorry for perhaps going over old ground, and not being too knowledgable
about all this, but my elation over this patch has suddenly just turned
to dismay.... :(

Col

--

|     Colin Guthrie      |