DPI problems with dual head!

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Tue Mar 7 00:39:37 PST 2006

I'm having a few problems with DPI and dual-head, firstly I have a
strange change in dimensions on my primary screen (my LCD, on different
configs):

no monitor at all (fglrx drivers disable second screen):
screen #0:

  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (404x303 millimeters)
  resolution:    88x88 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32

Using a Eizo t68 as my second screen:
screen #0:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (418x314 millimeters)
  resolution:    85x85 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16

and using the tv as the second scree:
screen #0:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (474x356 millimeters)
  resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32

needless to say my monitor doesn't physically change it's dimension
during the changes... :/ This is a little annoying...

also (and this is my _main_ issue) is that the dpi on the second screen
is all weird! Making my fonts smaller and/or larger compared to my main
screen, which I think have ok fonts (though I guess they change a little
based on the dpi it gets(?)) I tried forcing 85dpi in kdm and it made
the kde-fonts look like this (look at taskbar and title) when I start it
(seems ok):
http://huldreveien.generation.no/~wakko/secondscreen1.jpg
but gnome apps are still small look at everything in eclipse and xchat,
if I don't force the dpi, everything has small font.

PS: ALL my fonts are 10pt.... so they should have the same size!

screen #1:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (694x520 millimeters)
  resolution:    47x50 dots per inch

this is a 19" screen and I measured it manually now. The viewable space is
370mmx280mm (WxH) actually. Is that what I've should be getting? also, is it
possible to force this somehow?

Tried setting it manually to 364x273, which is what I got from this page:
http://www.eizo.com/Support/discontinued/crt/t68.asp

Now fonts are insanely huge! however, fonts look ok in gnome, and some fonts
change after gnome apps are loaded!
screenshot of it: http://huldreveien.generation.no/~wakko/secondscreen-dpi-huge.jpg <http://huldreveien.generation.no/%7Ewakko/secondscreen-dpi-huge.jpg>

screen #1:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (364x273 millimeters)
  resolution:    89x95 dots per inch