compiz on aiglx

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 6 11:23:57 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 14:01 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> Hey,
>
> With a bit of hacking, I managed to get compiz (and glxcompmgr) running
> on aiglx.  I'm running it on my i830 laptop, and the performance is
> actually quite impressive.
>
> Most of the aiglx fixes were just bug fixes or missing minor features
> and have been committed to the accel_indirect_branch.  A couple of fixes
> are less committable and I've put them here:
>
>    http://freedesktop.org/~krh/compiz-on-aiglx
>
> The aiglx-gl-include-inferiors.patch make the DRI driver draw over child
> windows, and the patch is really simple.

The plan is to use an overlay window into which you can create whatever
subwindows are needed to match the desired fbconfig. I think Deron has
made a preliminary version of the necessary hacks available. This
eliminates the need for any changes to the region code.

>    The question is what kind of
> protocol do we need to enable this... an FBConfig attribute might work,
> or maybe the question is, why does redirected window affect output at
> all again?

Because the output region also affects input clipping, and splitting
these apart is 'hard'ish.

>  Furthermore, for compiz to work, the root visual must be
> double buffered, which really just depends on how the DDX driver
> initializes the visual configs.

Using a separate window means you can choose whichever visual you like.

keith.packard at intel.com