3d pci-e 'modern' card

Miles Bader miles.bader at necel.com
Sun Mar 5 21:10:08 PST 2006

Ismail Donmez <ismail at uludag.org.tr> writes:
> NVIDIA is the best choice for Linux only problem is they have a binary only
> kernel module which taints your kernel and voids all your kernel bug
> reporting ability.

What if one restricts the choice to cards with decent non-proprietary
drivers?  I'd also sort of like a modern gfx card one of these days
(e.g., with programmable shader units), but I certainly don't want to
support the obnoxious software policies of the big two (Nvidia & ATI).

Is there any chance that Nvida/ATI will someday be a bit more enlightened?

[I suppose I expect the answer to my first question is "wait a few years",
but I guess it can't hurt to ask ... :-( ]

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche