using laptop as second monitor?

Mark Morschhäuser mark at tvk.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Mar 5 00:32:52 PST 2006

Hi,

I saw that windows software: http://www.maxivista.com/ and thought that the
same effect can be done with X, because it works as client/server over the
network and can use more than one monitor on one machine.
The only thing to do is to add an additional monitor (which points to the
IP-address from the laptop) to the xorg.conf and configure the screen-entry
to use both monitors (xinerama-like).

I searched google and tldp for about five hours and asked this question on two
forums but all I found were howtos for X-terminals or xinerama or general
configurations or tools that only allow to use mouse+keyboard on both
machines but don't extend the desktop over both machines (synergy, x2x,
x2vnc)

X should provide all necessary features already. How can this be done?

Thanks in advance,

Mark