Xgl and direct rendering

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Mar 1 02:53:20 PST 2006

Le Mer 1 mars 2006 09:55, Michel Dänzer a écrit :
> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 19:23 +0100, Matthias Hopf wrote:
>> On Feb 27, 06 15:18:34 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
>> > It may be that the only interesting case is full-screen video, which
>> > is the easiest case to design, since the compositing manager basically
>> > just has to get out of the way.

>> > This "get-out-of-the-way-I'm-going-fullscreen" protocol is also needed
>> > for fullscreen 3D games with direct rendering.
>>
>> This shouldn't be much of a problem, the composition manager should know
>> when a single nontransparent window is shown fullscreen.
>
> Sure, but a mechanism to have the fullscreen front buffer be scanned out
> directly by the display hardware would still be nice.

Also fullscreen usually means disabling common facilities like screensaver
and power-saving. It's not a pure composition problem.

Not much use for a video player to own the screen if xscreensaver consumes
all CPU in the background or xorg decides to blank the screen because no
one has been using the keyboard during the first 30 min of a movie.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot