AW: Improving Xorg

Martin Bochnig mb1x at gmx.com
Thu Jun 29 02:27:24 PDT 2006

Hello,

I also tried to build 7.1 for Solaris sparc recently.
(No problems at all with 6.9.0 after setting up configuration/definition files.)

> Documentation matching reality would be great.

Not even that, I'd be happy enough, just if the provided build scripts (for a complete build) came close to "matching reality".

But nothing works, not even the tar archives have the same name, as the script is looking for.
It's two weeks ago, so ask me for details and I'm well willing to reproduce the whole scenario, for being able to provide precise details.

When I fixed those things by hand, configure took years for every of the subfolders.
The modularization means heavily increasing the costs to build (time).

Then this and that and whatever failed every few minutes.
I believe (not sure) even a selfbuilt utility used for the build was segfaulting and therefore breaking the build yet another time.
I'm not only confused, but also disappointed from the modular thing (7.0 and 7.1).

But it looks like Alan Cox doesn't appreciate my comments, indirectly calling me something near to a troll.

So I may switch back to XFree86 in the end, where all the sparc folks still reside and produce, other than here.

--
Best regards,
Martin Bochnig
email: bochnig at pool.math.tu-berlin.de