R3XX lockup possible solution

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 11:03:36 PDT 2006

On 6/24/06, Patrick McFarland <diablod3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 24 June 2006 11:27, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> > Attached is the possible initialization we lack for r3xx chipset, might
> > also be usefull for r4xx. I am still not 100% confident that this solve
> > lockup but i have been able to run things a lot longuer than before without
> > lockup.
> >
> > Thus i want other people to test this and report if this solve any lockup
> > they might experience with r3xx/r4xx and DRI.
> >
> > To use this change the #define ADDR to your card ADDR (use lspci -v)
> > then gcc r300init.c -o initr300 quit any X, go the console run sync, launch
> > the program (as root) rerun X and test with app which used to lockup.
> >
> > You will have to press several time a key to go over initialization
> > step in the program if it lockup your computer please report last
> > things you see printed.
>
> Will this solve cards that lock up when trying to start X (not 2D related bug,
> only happens when DRI/GLX is enabled)?

Might solve this problem too. Btw i have still haven't guess the logic behind
some of the operation thus some of them might only work on my particular
card. If you experience lockup testing this try commenting out code up to
S05 i think that the important part are beyond S05.

And don't forget to run sync before launching, it might lockup the card...

best,
Jerome Glisse