R3XX lockup possible solution

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 08:27:02 PDT 2006

Attached is the possible initialization we lack for r3xx chipset, might also
be usefull for r4xx. I am still not 100% confident that this solve lockup but
i have been able to run things a lot longuer than before without lockup.

Thus i want other people to test this and report if this solve any lockup
they might experience with r3xx/r4xx and DRI.

To use this change the #define ADDR to your card ADDR (use lspci -v)
then gcc r300init.c -o initr300 quit any X, go the console run sync, launch
the program (as root) rerun X and test with app which used to lockup.

You will have to press several time a key to go over initialization
step in the program if it lockup your computer please report last
things you see printed.

Report your status.

PS: Sorry for cross posting but i wanted to have as many tester as possible.

best,
Jerome Glisse

To get the ADDR use lspci -v then this is second Memory at line of your
graphic card for example:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 NJ
[Radeon 98 00 XT] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 9560
        Flags: bus master, stepping, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 177
        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
        Memory at fe9f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Expansion ROM at fe9c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

#define ADDR 0xfe9f0000