Issues w/ Xorg 7.0, Dell L610, and i810 drivers

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 15:02:47 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 15:36 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I'm using a Dell L610 to run FC5 (updated), and it has an i915GM controller,
> which uses the i810 drivers...
>
> I can't seem to configure it correctly (I've attached the config I'm
> using).  It seems to have two issues.
>
> (1) it probes for the monitor DDC sync values, which disagree with what I've
>     explicitly configured, but looking at the Xorg.0.log file, it gives
>     no indication of what the EDID actually said the values were (grrr... you
>     can never have too much logging).

You've actually specified "noddc" so it's not going to read the DDC
information.

> (2) it then complains that "1400x1050" isn't a known modeline (no mode of
>     this name), even though I've explicitly configured a modeline with that
>     exact setting.

Specifying a modeline with the i810 driver without a matching BIOS
modeline is fruitless.

You should check out the program i915resolution to override one of your
existing modes to the 1400x1050 mode. Given that your BIOS manufacturer
neglected to add a 1400x1050 mode into the BIOS - this is currently your
best route - unless you want to build the "modesetting" branch from git
which programs the modes directly.

Hope that helps,

Alan.