Radeon Mobility X700 not working

Aaron Dewell Aaron.Dewell at woods.net
Tue Jun 13 16:18:35 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm having some problems getting X11R7 to work again on my laptop.  I was
using the ATI proprietary driver before, but they support nothing since 6.8,
and keeping that version requires doing weird things to Debian, not getting
newer packages of almost everything, etc.  And I've already upgraded, and the
Debian archive doesn't have 6.8 anymore. :)

So I'd like to get the included radeon driver working, and I'm happy to do
any testing.  I'd offer to code for it, but I'm almost useless with low
level coding (one brief attempt at a SCSI driver several years ago that took
someone else to get it finally working :).

The server starts normally, with no truly indicative log messages, but produces
a black screen.  When I have dual head configured, with TMDS,LVDS, it produces
odd results, but at least I see something on the internal screen (but
jittery and multiple copies).  The only scary log message is that DRI is
disabled due to failure to open /dev/drm/card0, which occasionally is there
during some of my attempts (I haven't been concentrating on that issue, assuming
the basics would work with or without DRI).

AMD Turion64, ATI Mobility X700 (it's an acer ferrari 4000, for the rest of the
hardware information)

I'm not sure what else is useful, I'm happy to provide anything that would be
helpful.  As I said, I'm happy to test new code, or take any suggestions as to
the next step.

Thank you!

Aaron

P.S.  Here is the lspci -v output for the card:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X700 (PCIE) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 007e
	Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 10
	Memory at c8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
	I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
	Memory at c0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Expansion ROM at c0120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: [58] #10 [0001]
	Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-