fatal: could not find module i915, x.org 7.0

Joshua Baergen joshuabaergen at gentoo.org
Mon Jun 12 20:15:08 PDT 2006

George P Nychis wrote:
> In my kernel I built in support with CONFIG_FB_I810=y, my make .conf has VIDEO_CARDS="i810 vesa fbdev"

CONFIG_FB is framebuffer and has nothing to do with the normal X server.
 I have the following set for my 855:

CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
CONFIG_DRM=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915=m

> But then when I try to start x, it seems to load the screen, i can move my cursor for like a half a second, then it exists and says:
> Fatal: could not find module i915
>

> why is it trying to find i915?  I am trying to use the i810 driver, and *no where* in my kernel or xorg.conf is there a mention of 915

The old i810 driver is deprecated in the kernel and the i915 driver has
replaced it with the same functionality (and more, better, etc.).

--
Joshua Baergen