X Window System Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

Mon Jun 12 07:48:36 PDT 2006

Benjamin Fabricius wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 09.06.2006, 07:55 -0700 schrieb Alan Coopersmith:
>> Benjamin Fabricius wrote:
>>>   (Details: serial 114 error_code 10 request_code 144 minor_code 1)
>> Since the request code is > 128, it's coming from an extension.  Since
>> extension numbers are dynamically assigned and depend on which set of
>> extensions are built into, loaded into, or turned on in your X server,
>> the only way to find what extension number that maps to is to run
>> "xdpyinfo -queryExt" in the session where you get that error and see
>> which extension reports an opcode matching the shown request_code.
>>
>> You can then look to minor opcode 1 in that extension to see what
> cases
>> will cause it to return an error of BadAccess.
>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> Thanks for that hint..
>
> xdpyinfo gives me
>
> ben at barney:~> xdpyinfo -queryExt | grep 144
>     MIT-SHM  (opcode: 144, base event: 94, base error: 166)
>
> i then did a
>
> ben at barney:~> xdpyinfo -ext MIT-SHM
> dont see anything resembling a minor code here or am i missing it?

Sorry - I meant look in that extension's protocol spec or headers for the
minor opcode - those don't change at runtime, unlike the major opcodes.

So in /usr/include/X11/extensions/XShm.h you'ld see the list of minor opcodes
is:
#define X_ShmQueryVersion               0
#define X_ShmAttach                     1
#define X_ShmDetach                     2
#define X_ShmPutImage                   3
#define X_ShmGetImage                   4
#define X_ShmCreatePixmap               5

which means your error is from trying to attach to a shared memory pixmap.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com