Flash in Firefox results in X Window System Error

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Fri Jun 9 17:23:57 PDT 2006

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> After upgrading the X11 libraries in Fedora Core Rawhide yesterday
> Firefox now crashes with a "X Window System Error" everytime I load a
> page containing a flash applet:
>
> Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
>   (Details: serial 120 error_code 8 request_code 146 minor_code 3)
>
> What is the proper way to decode the error numbers above into something
> human readable?

It helps to not have your toolkit override the default X error handlers
which print human-readable names, but that's a story for someone else.

For "request_code 146", since it's >128, it's an extension, for which
codes are dynamically assigned based on which extensions are being used
in your configuration - you'll need to run "xdpyinfo -queryExt" and look
for an extension line with opcode 146 to see which one that is.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com