Some benchmarks with Radeon and Xorg7.1

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Jun 9 18:08:15 PDT 2006

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 18:28:06 -0500 "Matthew R. Dempsky" <mrd at alkemio.org>
babbled:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:29:01PM +0100, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> > That's new for me! So, what would be the best way to test the impact
> > of these on current apps?
>
> Evas (from Enlightenment 17) is bundled with some test programs that can
> benchmark its various backend rendering paths, and Rasterman has
> suggested them in the path to people interested in testing
> performance[1].
>
> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-February/012825.html

note that the url for evas is not valid anymore - but try
enlightenment.freedesktop.org and you can see the latest evas tarball anyway.

also note - this doesn't test everything x/xrender/etc. can do - but does kind
of go through a set of common and useful operations. the best part about it is
that it really provides a way of seeing how good an implementation of opengl
is vs. xrender vs how well you can manage the same thing with optimised code
in-client memory and then blast the results to x. generally speaking - from a
driver/ x hacker point of view xrender and opengl SHOULD never really be
significantly slower that software client-side - in theory. they should exceed
it hopefully many times over :)