xserver janitorial work

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jun 8 14:07:43 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 08:57 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> Ah, no, I admit that my K&R C days were all with embedded processors
> with no floating point at all, so I was not aware of this issue.  Thanks
> for pointing it out, I'll watch out for it.

There are similar issues with short/int/long, but not as severe. short
arguments are cast to int in K&R and not in ANSI. Because of alignment
issues, short are generally aligned as ints under ANSI, which means you
have uninitialized bytes on the stack with an ANSI prototype.  Generally
this isn't an issue

> Well, as I'm watching the warnings very carefully right now (and there
> really aren't that many of them, they are just hard to see in the build
> process right now (I'll work on that later...)), I'll watch out for
> these.  It's also my goal to get rid of most of these warnings.

Yeah, and then we get to turn on the 'normal' warning flags and clean
all of them up. Thanks for helping out, btw.

> Will do, I am very familiar with "kernel code that hasn't been
> maintained" :)

heh. the kernel is all new code by comparison.

keith.packard at intel.com