Compiling X7.1

Roger roger at jikos.cz
Thu Jun 8 06:28:59 PDT 2006

Hello,

  I tried compiling R7.1 from sources yesterday, but encountered several
problems:

Downloading sources: link "current" in both ftp.x.org and
xorg.freedesktop.org points to "X11R7.0"

Compiling: In R7.1 README (http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.1/doc/README.html),
there's link to "Modular Developer's Guide" -
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide . Informations on this page
look a bit out-dated (like required packages). I tried
"build-from-tarballs.sh" script pointed in it -
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/xorg/util/modular/build-from-tarballs.sh
But it requires some packages, that don't exist in R7.1 ftp directory. I
suppose this is because it's outdated too.

I didn't get any further, because I gave up after this. Is it possible for
mere mortal like me to succesfully compile R7.1 from sources? Where can I
find some more info?

Thank you.

  Roger