problem activiting second screen for Matrox G450 dual-head PCI card

陈士成 c.shicheng at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 07:11:22 PDT 2006

Hello. Using Xorg 6.9.0 on SuSE 10.1 I am not able to bring up the second
screen of Matrox G450 dual-head card.

The card sits on PCI:4:0:0. (Some other dual-head card, e.g. some dual-head
Cirrus Logic card, shows up on two separate PCI busID). X run on the first
screen okay. The second card, using almost same setting in xorg.conf Device
section except "Screen 1",  cannot start X server with this error message:

#  X -config xorg.conf.test_second_head
(WW) MGA: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:4:0:0) found
(EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
(EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.

The funny thing is, it's being said "Screen 0 deleted because of no matching
config section.", However on the xorg.conf I prepared for testing the second
head, there is no "Screen 0" line (only a line "Screen 1").

I attached both xorg.conf.test_second_head (the file I use to test the
second head) and the Xorg log.

Any hint? Thank you in advance!