Switching Xserver from CVS to GIT?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Jun 2 09:33:50 PDT 2006

On Friday 02 June 2006 01:22, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:59:32PM -0600, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> > Would it be possible to add a XORG_7_1 tag to the CVS package whatever
> > made it in the 7.1 tarball before the switch ?
> >
> > I think that, from a maintainance point of view, not having this tag
> > will make things harder (ie question like "was this bug fixed in 7.1
> > already ?")
>
> BTW, I'm missing such a tag also for the other modules. This makes
> checking out 7.1 or generating diffs against 7.1 nearly
> impossible. :-(

Should be sorted now.  Working on a more general solution to this problem,
something along the lines of "stash a file in util/modular containing the
(module, version) tuples for each 7.x release number, in reasonably parseable
format so the RM can walk it and automatically do things like make distballs,
tag things, etc."  Which should make it easier for module maintainers to
communicate which version they want in a given release.

Obviously this file would itself be branched for each release train.

- ajax