Slow X startup and Hammering /proc/pci

Thomas Leonard tal at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 1 12:40:42 PDT 2006

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:54:14 -0400, Phillip Ezolt wrote:
>     I've been investigating gnome startup time for the summer of
> code, and I've noticed that the startup time for X is on the order of 4
> seconds. That seems very slow.

> I've done a little investigation, and it looks like the PCI probe code is
> going a little crazy.

I shaved 1.7 seconds off of the startup time here by editing
hw/xfree86/os-support/bus/Pci.c to stop after finding as many devices as
there are lines in /proc/bus/pci/devices:

if (idx < number_of_pci_devices)
	tag = pciFindNext();
else
	tag = PCI_NOT_FOUND;

No idea if this is a good general solution, but it worked for me.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net