Different xorg for different configs

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Jul 31 04:33:15 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:44:03PM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Paul Kaplan wrote:
> >I know how to use different server layout stanzas in xorg.conf to
> >configure X for different situations.  How would I get X to determine
> >whether an external monitor is attached to my system at boot time and then
> >call the appropriate server layout without any intervention on my part?
> >
> >I have a xinerama enabled config that works with my external monitor
> >attached, but leaves me with a largely inaccessible piece of my desktop
> >when the monitor isn't present.

Unfortunately it's not possible at the moment, and I'd recommend against
running that configuration by default, since it will have a noticeable
impact on battery life.  We're working on it, and users of Intel
chipsets, at least, should have some relief come 7.2.

> I haven't seen that done. get-edid|parse-edid reads the edid from a monitor,
> but it doesn't seem to have an option for getting the second monitor. You
> could
> use that in a script if it was modified to be able to get the edid from both
> monitors.

It can't, because it uses VBE.  Why would you want to get the EDID from
an external userspace tool?  It seems completely pointless, except as an
exercise to see if the second monitor was connected, which you can find
out from Xorg -probe anyway.