Update on RandR changes from DDC

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 28 17:45:45 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 10:04 -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:

> Is that really correct?  I could have sworn that splitter cables were
> available for dual-link DVI connects that allowed them to drive two
> monitors.

Sure, you gang the two DVI outputs together into one logical output and
then program a single mode that drives both CRTCs. I'd like to have the
driver make sure the two CRTCs are in sync, rather than letting the
client attempt to program them correctly though. If you've got a
suggestion on how to present this other than as a mode where one CRTC is
effectively disabled and the other one gains new mode capabilities, I'd
love to hear it.

>  That also doesn't cover the case of crazy displays like the
> IBM T221 that require two dual-link DVI connections to drive properly.

Aren't those tiled? If so, they're logically two monitors...

keith.packard at intel.com