how to find which files were changed?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jul 26 14:44:04 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:52:15 -0500 (CDT), wrote:
> How do get the names of files when using git?

git log --name-only

> I don't see any option for this with git-log (and don't want to see diffs
> of every change).

Most of the most interesting options for git-log are hiding in the
documentation for git-rev-list and for git-diff-tree. (That the
documentation is sometimes hard to find is not nice, but the fact that
the options "live" at a deep level is pretty fundamental to a lot of
the power/convenience that comes from using git. For example, any
revision specifying options you find useful for git-log will also work
with gitk, say, since it also builds on git-rev-list.)

One thing that doesn't exist yet that might be useful would be an
option such as "git log --gnu-changelog" for generating logs formatted
according to the GNU ChangeLog style. It shouldn't even be a lot of
work to implement for someone sufficiently motivated.

-Carl