XClient not responding

Atanas Atanasov thenasko at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 00:09:56 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I am trying to analyse when an XClient is not responding. The
situation is as follows: Suppose I forward an client to some XServer
and then the connection with the machine hosting the client drops. The
interface literally freezes. In most cases if one starts "poking" the
interface in an environment like gnome or KDE the window manager would
realise that events are sent but no response comes. This in turn
generates some sort of "Not Responding" message. If it weren't for the
monitoring the XServer would simply think that the client is idle and
do nothing. My question is whether there exists some standard XEvent
which my server can send to the client and check on its responsiveness
- i.e. perform keep-alive.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Atanas