Update on RandR changes from DDC

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 21 16:43:52 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 14:13 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:

> One question,  once the new xrandr is out and reviewed, is there a
> general consensus to rip out the old screen based dualhead code?  I'd
> like to see it gone and would volunteer to convert the existing
> drivers.

I don't know. A multi-screen xinerama-ish world hasn't been tried yet,
and might be too confusing in some environments where some monitors are
in mergefb mode and others are in split screen mode.

My desire is to allow a full single-screen implementation at some point,
even across video cards, but that will either require the current ugly
xinerama hacks or significant X server restructuring. Once the RandR
spec is stable, and we have working mergefb stuff running, we can go in
and see what it will take to split the screen-merging portion of the
Xinerama implementation from the externally visible extension bits.

keith.packard at intel.com