Update on RandR changes from DDC

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jul 20 11:54:49 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 13:08 +0200, Dirk Thierbach wrote:

> I like the Intel terminology for those objects:

Yeah, it's workable, but I would rather use more widely understandable
terminology. Anyone not familiar with the Intel driver would have to
learn these terms.

> Finally, the situation for TV out is somewhat more complicated:

My thinking here is that the RandR extension would provide named
'outputs' for the TV encoder and it would use those output names to
configure the chip correctly. An additional extension could be used to
communicate with the encoder chip to tweak the parameters if necessary,
but for most people, that's not necessary.

I'd like to push work in this area to people with more interest and
ability without also making them jump into the details of screen
resizing and the like...

It does bring up some additional constrants which we may want to expose
in this extension. The device will have configuration constraints that
limit how outputs can be connected to the CRTCs, and some outputs can
only be used with certain modes (LVDS has a fixed maximum size, TV
encoders may need to use fixed frequencies or modelines). I suspect what
I'll do is encode the capability matrix in a set of bitmasks and see if
I can't make that general enough to cover the relevant cases. I do think
we'll need a general fallback of 'oops, can't do that' for cases whch
can't be described this way, but that better be limited to the truly
bizarre.

keith.packard at intel.com