Performance change from X in Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sat Jul 15 17:53:12 PDT 2006

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:42:33 -0700 Allen Akin <akin at pobox.com> babbled:

> On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 04:42:03PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> | On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:32:41 -0700 Allen Akin <akin at pobox.com> babbled:
> | > The static allocation problem is fixable.  Overcommitting video ram is a
> | > bigger problem, and compositing systems are naturally more likely to
> | > suffer from it because they require unbounded amounts of memory.
> |
> | indeed they will be much more video ram hungry. it'd actually be nice to be
> | able to query the location of a pixmap (or video vs agp vs system ram
> | resources) and so possibly do smart things - like just free up excess
> | pixmaps when resources get low.
>
> Agreed, although to me, the most interesting question is what part of
> the software stack has responsibility for doing the smart stuff.  As we
> build things today, neither drivers, server, toolkits, nor apps have
> enough information about the state of the whole system to know what to
> do.  I think we will eventually want a component on the server side with
> a global view (for lack of a better term, a scene graph; though it
> wouldn't look exactly like scene graphs used by games or simulators).

we also want it on the client side. the clients ASK for the resources - they
don't know when to stop or slow down asking. they dont have a "you can ask from
this point on - but you will pay the price if you do" point. as far as they are
concerned they have unlimited resources and that is a patent fallacy. they may
choose to ignore the info and hints and work as they do now - just keep asking
for more resources until things literally fall apart (allocs fail), BUT they
should have an idea of where to stop, slow down, free not-so-essential resources
(as only the clients really know WHY those resources exist).

> | > That's true in today's Open Source desktop environments.  It wasn't true
> | > in the old Iris GL days, for example, so it might not always be true in
> | > the future.  Or in Vista and recent versions of OS X.
> |
> | sure - but how many "3d" apps will you have at once - windows with 3d views?
> | not TOO many. i know where you are coming from - but i don't see things
> | going to heavily 3d in the X world... any time soon... if ever.
>
> Part of coming from the OpenGL world is that I don't believe there's
> much real difference between 2D and 3D (and video, for that matter).  We
> have a lot of historical reasons for having separate APIs, different
> concepts of drawing surfaces, different models for color, etc., but
> pretty much all of graphics boils down to transformations and
> sampling[1], so in the end life will be better if we acknowledge that
> and design more unified systems.

sure - i agree. though i guess i'm coming from the POV of the conceptual "3d
apps generally have an entirely scalable viewport where you describe a world in
terms of polygons" and 2d apps think in pixels and demand pixel-perfect
alignment etc. having your scrollbar has small gaps, or some scrollbars be 5
and some 4 pixels wide because of rounding differences etc. is unacceptable.
doing a ui in terms of fully 3d primitives (widgets, buttons etc.) invariably
leads to a disastrous output result as rounding and certain scaling makes
fonts look bad as they are "off-by 1" and other such things. sure - the HUD's
on modern games are ok for example - BUT these i consider as "2d" - they think
in the 2d world. so defining my widget hierarchy as a set of 3d primitives and
hope that things get scaled, aligned and drawn right - in my experience, is
not going to happen. you can argue with growing resolution the off-by-1's are
going to matter less and less.

anyway - but to the point - i do agree - that as the nuts and bolts under it
all - a texture and a pixmap should not be considered differently. a pbuffer, a
gl buffer, window, pixmap etc. should all be 100% interchangeable pixel
sources/destinations. the operations to draw could be done by the 3d pipeline
FOR the 2d operations just fine - that's a matter of the drivers simply changing
what parts of the gpu they use for 2d :)

> | a scene graph for the whole display - imho is the job of something like
> | croquet and is out of the scope of what we were discussing :)
>
> Maybe.  The fundamental questions (like resource management) come up
> time after time, and I think one of the reasons is that the puzzle is
> missing a piece.  We can work around the hole for a long time, but
> eventually we'll want to go looking for that piece. :-)

i think resource-management-wise, it is good to provide as much information to
as high a level as possible to ALLOW for something to be done. right now there
just is nothing to go by. :(

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)