"gitting" everything

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 14 07:46:22 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 12:30 +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> I use the attached script. May be I'll attach it to the wiki too...

We might want to make sure the repositories are on 'master' before using
'git pull' as that will scramble a tree which is sitting on another
branch. Also, might be useful to avoid pulling into a tree which has
changes. Hmm. there should be an easy way to automate all of that...

I've also complained to the git list about the speed of git-fetch; turns
out it's limited by local CPU performance as it is a shell script. The
actual network transaction takes very little time. However, we should
come up with a mechanism for discovering which trees actually need
updating and skip the clean ones; that's really the only way to make
this fast enough for people to use.

keith.packard at intel.com