LIB_MAN_SUFFIX problem

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Jul 13 13:11:39 PDT 2006

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Brian Paul wrote:
>

>> When compiling several of the X libraries I'm getting failures like
>> this (Xlib in this case):
>>
>> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/projects/xorg-git/libX11/man'
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `AllPlanes. at LIB_MAN_SUFFIX@',
>> needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/projects/xorg-git/libX11/man'
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/projects/xorg-git/libX11/man'
>> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>
>> A similar thing happens in lib Xau with @LIB_MAN_SUFFIX@
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> LIB_MAN_SUFFIX should be substituted using the macros in the xorg-macros
> package - do you have that installed before running autoconf/autogen?

It looks like setting my ACLOCAL env var to 'aclocal -I
/path/to/modular/share/aclocal/' fixed that.  My coworker, Thomas, had
suggested that, but thanks to a typo it wasn't working.

The larger issue I'm having is a lack of concise documentation for
getting everthing from git and building from scratch.  I'm slowly
piecing it together through trial and error.  I'm presently building
each git package/project one by one by hand.  I haven't figured out
how to use the build scripts yet.

I'd _really_ appreciate it if someone would take the time to update
the Wiki pages.  There's a lot of stale information there (all the CVS
stuff for example).  And the organization of the git-related material
leaves a lot to be desired.  If you start at the top of the wiki it's
nearly impossible to find the information one needs.

It would be really helpful to have explicit step-by-step instructions
for building everything from scratch.

-Brian