Xorg 7.1, Mesa, threads

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jul 12 12:35:44 PDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Tilman Sauerbeck murmured woefully:
> J. Hart [2006-07-12 21:46]:
>
>> Installation of Mesa seems to require that Glibc be installed with Linuxthreads
>> rather than NPTL.  if, for example, Glibc 2.36 is installed with Linuxthreads
>> support, a version of the header file "/usr/include/bits/initspin.h" will also
>> be installed with a definition of __LOCK_INITIALIZER.  This definition seems to
>
> No. I run glibc-2.3.6 w/ NPTL support, and I've got the dummy
> initspin.h, too. Everything's working fine.

I built mesa-6.5 with glibc 2.4 last week. No problems, except that there
are paths mentioning /usr/X11R6 which have to be changed, not just in
makefiles but in src/glx/x11/dri_glx.c!

> I cannot find any reference to __LOCK_INITIALIZER in Mesa-6.5 (or Mesa
> CVS HEAD FWIW).

Neither can I. However, if the user has a mixture of nptl and linuxthreads
headers installed, you can see things like this.

I'd say it's a glibc installation problem, myself; they're easy to
perpetrate accidentally, especially when mixing nptl and linuxthreads
libraries.