evdev mainteiner

Zephaniah E. Hull warp at aehallh.com
Tue Jul 11 09:15:38 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 12:38:50PM -0300, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> Zephaniah E. Hull escreveu:
> >Basicly, from the patches I've seen prior to now, I don't especially
> >like the approach.
> >
> >More to the point though, there is some change in just what the DDX does
> >and does not need to provide coming down the pipe which should, if done
> >right, may make it fairly easy to move a good bit of the xfree86 input
> >DDX that's not already part of mi into something that could be fairly
> >easily reused by Xgl and the Kdrive servers without a ton more effort.
> >
> >That would actually allow the full xf86-input-evdev to be used in all
> >cases, instead of a stripped down version that behaves very differently,
> >and at least IMHO, that sounds like a big enough win to put the effort
> >into once the other changes get into the git tree.
> >
> >But that's still going to be a bit in the future, as will some noticeable
> >design changes to accommodate the server itself handling hotplug, so the
> >current x-input-evdev is probably at least a good interim solution, but
> >I am honestly not sure about it's place in the longer term.
> >

> You're totally right about the x-input-evdev code. Its ugly, however
> functional. I wrote it quickly as a proof of concept that evdev code
> inside X should be in a layer next to the kernel, hence others DDXs can
> use it.
>
> Firstly, what we gonna do is split the xf86-input-evdev in two:
> x-input-evdev (mi and syscall functions) and xf86-input-evdev (DDX
> only). You're even right right on the place where it all will go. IMHO
> x-input-evdev will be a library instead a driver that xf86-input-evdev
> (even some xgl-input-evdev, etc) will communicate to provide the X events.

I'm not sure that the split should be that way, ideally I'd like to just
have xf86-input-evdev, but make the DDX functions it use very portable
so that _any_ DDX can easily be modified to have them and be able to
load the module as is.

(Depending on the stuff required by other input devices, they might get
those for free along with it.)

> Hotplug is cool and we must do it. Do you use IRC?

I'm Mercury on Freenode and OFTC, if you want to join #xorg-devel on
freenode we can talk about it some more.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
	  1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp at aehallh.com>
	   92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801