keyboard repeat ppppproblem

Don harterc1 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 05:14:26 PDT 2006

I hve been having    problems typing messages because when I type often
I get more than one character. It gets so bad  at times to  be    almost
unusable.  My keyboard is not broken.  I am on my third keyboard.  I
experimented with some kernel settings such as i8042.reset,
attkbd.softrepeat=1, and    clock=tsc. With these options I can turn off
the autorepeat function in a tty.   But when I use X I get charaters
repeating.  This happens on both kde terminals and xterms.   The
autorepeat    function     below does    not seem to work or have any
efffect when I change it.
Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "kbd"
  Identifier   "Keyboard[0]"
  Option       "AutoRepeat" "20000 1"
  Option       "Protocol" "Standard"
  Option       "XkbLayout" "us"
  Option       "XkbModel" "microsoftinet"
  Option       "XkbRules" "xfree86"
EndSection

I am running suse SL10.1.  I have also seen this    problem on another
machiine afterr I installed FC5.  I was not able to use it.
What could be causing this or can I just fix it by changing my config?
Where  in the source code  should I look?  Could it be timing issue
unrelated to X? Or a driver problem???? It seems that some keyboard
repeat rates can be set in software.