X debugging

reed at reedmedia.net reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Jul 10 22:32:03 PDT 2006

> The line that fails is:
>
>   if ((logFile = fopen(logFileName, "w")) == NULL)
>             FatalError("Cannot open log file \"%s\"\n", logFileName);
>
> Do i need to start X as a root user or something?

Yes.

A configuration option hs been commented out for this, because some think
that opening the log file for writing is too late after reading
configuration file.

I think logging to stderr is good enough until the config file is parsed
and then log to the file.

But even after that is fixed, you will find at least a few more places
where root is required. (See the archives.)

- Jeremy