Performance change from X in Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Sun Jul 9 08:27:59 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 15:15 +0100, Roo wrote:
> > downgrade gtk back to before cairo,
>
> Not an option, I'm afraid. The GNOME developers decided to depend on the
> version of GTK that dropped everything else but Cairo. Nice of them to
> shaft everyone with older cards... so much for the performance
> improvements.

I should point out that at GUADEC we have people with benchmarks proving
that GTK+ 2.8 is slower than 2.6, the GTK+ developers, and the Cairo
developers in the same room.  At the moment profiling is being done,
Cairo is being optimised, and any non-essential and proven slow use of
Cairo in GTK is being removed.

My money is on GTK+ doing something that is forcing Cairo into using
Render when it should be using Core operations as the cause of the
slowdown in 2.8 onwards.

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com