Performance change from X in Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Jul 9 06:21:11 PDT 2006

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:56:27 +0100 Roo <oscosc at gmail.com> babbled:

sorry to say that chances are is its the cairo move - cairo using xrender and
xrender basically being horrible in terms of speed on all but the barest few
chipsets if you are lucky. this is not something new - it has been hashed and
rehashed. the problem is basically xrender is falling back to software
rendering as there is no hardware accel - and software xrender is like deciding
to go from los angeles to seattle by relying on continental drift. it has
improved - but it is still bad - and the only major savior is a lot of
extremely funky caching code to shadow drawables in system ram and smartly
transfer only the updated sections TO the card as writes to avoid reads, or to
move al drawables to system ram (try shadowfb if its available for mga drivers
- haven't used them in years so i can't say), change gfx card (ati r200 for
example has render accel (albeit a little buggy)), downgrade gtk back to before
cairo, oe start helping to add acceleration to all the x drivers for xrender.