A simple accelerated GL compositor

Mike Russo miker at readq.com
Fri Jul 7 19:48:19 PDT 2006

Felix Bellaby wrote:
> Mike Russo wrote:
>
>> If you have helped to increase the stability of the Composite extension
>> in nvidia's proprietary drivers, I salute you, sir!  Random crashes (a
>> MTBF of 2-3 days) have led me to abandon its use, but if you've finally
>> found the bugs and they get fixed in the next version, I'll be eternally
>> grateful. :)
>>

> What use of the Composite extension were you making to get a MTBF of 2-3
> days? The problems that I been working on have a MTBF of a few minutes,
> though the failures might still be related.

Nothing more complicated than running

xcompmgr -fF -cC -r7 -o.65 -l-10 -t-8 -D3 &

in my .xinitrc and setting the transparency on individuals windows using
transset-df.  Random crashes (SIGSEGVS with the occasional floating
point error in the  nvidia signal handler function) would crash X every
few days with no noticeable pattern, although others have complained on
the nvnews.net forums of crashes when certain KDE apps (kopete) are
running.   If the stability problems continue, perhaps the strategy of
enabling Composite through GLX will work better. XGL was more stable in
that it did not have random crashes, but leaked memory so bad that after
3 days it would get killed anyway. :)

--
Mike Russo
ReadQ Systems, Inc.

Random quote of the last-time-I-ran-bash:
You're at the end of the road again.