Does composition render double-buffering useless?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 03:15:30 PDT 2006

Thanks a lot for answering!

> displayed on screen.  Most compositing managers listen for damage
> events on the off-screen pixmaps and recomposite immediately when
> damage occurs.
But don't they use some heuristics to optimize the composition step?
I imagine that composition after every simple damage (line, small
rect, ...) would damage performance quite a lot.

I'll do some tests, maybe this could be made optional ... if the users
wants this, he/she gets it ;)
However I guess this could lower performance ... since more damage
situations eventuelly have to be handled. Nothing is as easy as it
seems ;)

lg Clemens