EXA performance ( XCOMPOSITE and XRENDER ) performance regression from xorg 7.0 to 7.1 ( r200 )

Daniel Kasak dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 1 23:54:06 PDT 2006

James Blanford wrote:

> How many is too many?  15? 100?

It depends more on the size of the windows. I can get maybe 3 or 4
fullscreen windows, or 5 or 6 medium-sized windows ( with xcompmgr
running ), and after that, performance goes from very impressive to very
bad.

> I've noticed huge differences in performance among the various
> compositing and window managers.  Window moves are jerky and peg my cpu
> with metacity and libcm.  Compiz is almost unbelievably fast and
> responsive.  Unfortunately, I get no window decorations.  Fluxbox and
> xcompmgr are great.  Maybe I'll give e a try.

I know about compiz - I've been testing out XGL too. But this is a
different beast entirely to EXA. It's interesting that you say that you
saw a performance *increase* from xorg-7.0. I will have to do some more
testing - in particular I'll try out fluxbox and see if things are any
better there, but I still assert that I saw a fairly major degradation
in performance switching from 7.0 to 7.1.

Dan