R3XX lockup possible solution

Hamish hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Sat Jul 1 01:07:12 PDT 2006

On Saturday 24 June 2006 16:27, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> Attached is the possible initialization we lack for r3xx chipset, might
> also be usefull for r4xx. I am still not 100% confident that this solve
> lockup but i have been able to run things a lot longuer than before without
> lockup.
>
> Thus i want other people to test this and report if this solve any lockup
> they might experience with r3xx/r4xx and DRI.
>
> To use this change the #define ADDR to your card ADDR (use lspci -v)
> then gcc r300init.c -o initr300 quit any X, go the console run sync, launch
> the program (as root) rerun X and test with app which used to lockup.
>
> You will have to press several time a key to go over initialization
> step in the program if it lockup your computer please report last
> things you see printed.
>
> Report your status.

Status Report:

The initr300 program itself locks up my Radeon 9600 (Saphire with 256MB
memory). lspci -v says

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M10 NQ [Radeon
Mobility 9600] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Unknown device 0200
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 169
        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        Memory at fbe00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Expansion ROM at fbd00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [58] AGP version 3.0

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc M10 NQ [Radeon Mobility 9600]
(secondary)
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Unknown device 0201
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at fbf00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

I used

#define ADDR 0xfbe00000

The locksup happens immediately after the 'S 02' is flashed up on the
screen... When the lockup happens my DVI-I monitor reports it's going to
sleep because of no signal. My analog monitor on the same card just sits
there...

Plus I get lots of RD errors from the first part...

FWIW my card locks up when trying to load DRI as well (recent thread on the
list).