Performance issue

Roland Scheidegger rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch
Mon Jan 30 15:12:58 PST 2006

Michael Stather wrote:
> OK, thanks for your help :)
> If this is not a bug and the performance is just not that good I can
> live with that.
> Is the "radeon" driver still maintained and improved? I mean that some
> features aren´t accelerated ATM, and I also heard that it uses just AGP
> 1x because higher modes are buggy.
I assume you're really speaking about r200, not radeon (they share the
same "radeon" 2d driver, but your 9250 uses the r200 3d driver). Plain
old (r100) radeon would be almost full-featured, with the exception of
3d textures and some ati env_bumpmap extension - there's a non-working
patch for 3d textures, maybe one day I'll finish it (if the idea why
it's non-working turns out to be true...) but don't count on it. As for
r200, the "pixel" stuff is pretty full-featured too, it'll even support
ati fragment shaders if you want. It lacks hw accelerated vertex
programs unfortunately. Both of these drivers also are somewhat lacking
wrt to large vertex arrays / vertex buffer objects currently, which can
cause large performance drops for some apps (like ut2k3). Both drivers
also lack support for occlusion queries.
AGP modes higher than 1x are not buggy per se, it's just that some
chipsets have problems with it - this is not (graphic chip) driver
specific though. Most motherboards IME should run just fine if you
enable higher agp modes in your xorg config file (but don't expect too
much performance improvements from that setting). This in contrast to
agp fast writes which you can manually enable too, this has a pretty
high probability of complete lockup at xorg start time (again, depends
on the chipset), not to mention I think noone ever could show this would
actually help performance...

Roland