Performance issue

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Mon Jan 30 13:06:24 PST 2006

Am Montag, den 30.01.2006, 17:55 +0100 schrieb Michael Stather:
> Roland Scheidegger schrieb:
> > Michael Stather wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I´ve a Radeon 9250 with an athlon 1ghz and your "radeon" driver.
> >> Direct rendering is enabled (as glxinfo returns) but the performance
> >> is very low,
> >> e.g. quake 3 isn´t playable, neither are simple games like neverball
> >> or tuxracer.
> >> I´ve heard from other users as well as from tests that the performace
> >> is well enough to play q3 (about 5fps),
> >> while I get only about 5fps.
> >> What could be the reason?
> > There are two things which come to mind (additionally to what felix
> > mentioned already). Is this a crippled 64bit memory interface card?
> > These are typically only about half (maybe slightly better) as fast as
> > the 128bit cards (enabling hyperz and color tiling should help some,
> > you need xorg 6.9 for both features, and hyperz needs to be manually
> > enabled). The games you mentioned should still be playable though even
> > with the 64bit cards. If this is a pci radeon 9250, that could also
> > explain the slow performance. In theory, this should not really cause
> > a performance loss, but for some yet unknown reason the pci radeon
> > rv250 based cards are a LOT slower than the agp ones.
> >
> > Roland
> >

> I did some additional tests and found out that only neverball and torcs
> aren´t playable, q3 is (sorry I thought q3 would also not be playable).
> But this is strange since thay have a much simpler graphics as q3 has.
> If q3 has a decent framerate these "home-made" games should work also.
> My card is an AGP one, I don´t know whether it´s a 64-bit one or not.
> Do you have any explanation for that?

In Torcs disable the rear-view mirror. It uses copies from framebuffer
to texture which isn't accelerated ATM AFAIK. Or use the latest Torcs
version (1.2.4) which includes a fix that improves the performance of
the rear-view mirror a lot compared to 1.2.3. Neverball can be slow if
you have many coins in a level and set the geometry detail to "high".
Also if you have reflections enabled and use 16bpp color depth you hit
software fallbacks due to the lack of a hardware stencil buffer. Try
using 24bpp color depth or disable reflections and if that doesn't help
reduce the geometry detail.

Regards,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |