Performance issue

Michael Stather lists at michaelstather.com
Mon Jan 30 08:55:40 PST 2006

Roland Scheidegger schrieb:
> Michael Stather wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I´ve a Radeon 9250 with an athlon 1ghz and your "radeon" driver.
>> Direct rendering is enabled (as glxinfo returns) but the performance
>> is very low,
>> e.g. quake 3 isn´t playable, neither are simple games like neverball
>> or tuxracer.
>> I´ve heard from other users as well as from tests that the performace
>> is well enough to play q3 (about 5fps),
>> while I get only about 5fps.
>> What could be the reason?
> There are two things which come to mind (additionally to what felix
> mentioned already). Is this a crippled 64bit memory interface card?
> These are typically only about half (maybe slightly better) as fast as
> the 128bit cards (enabling hyperz and color tiling should help some,
> you need xorg 6.9 for both features, and hyperz needs to be manually
> enabled). The games you mentioned should still be playable though even
> with the 64bit cards. If this is a pci radeon 9250, that could also
> explain the slow performance. In theory, this should not really cause
> a performance loss, but for some yet unknown reason the pci radeon
> rv250 based cards are a LOT slower than the agp ones.
>
> Roland

I did some additional tests and found out that only neverball and torcs
aren´t playable, q3 is (sorry I thought q3 would also not be playable).
But this is strange since thay have a much simpler graphics as q3 has.
If q3 has a decent framerate these "home-made" games should work also.
My card is an AGP one, I don´t know whether it´s a 64-bit one or not.
Do you have any explanation for that?

regards

Michael